Save the Children has been working in Central Asia since 1994 beginning with helping children in Khatlon and Sogd Regions and Rasht Valley of Tajikistan and in Osh Province of Kyrgyzstan. Since then, Save the Children has expanded its programmes within both countries, supporting the vulnerable children to gain access to education, healthcare, nutritious food and protection services.
Recent and ongoing programming has focused on children’s and women’s food security, child protection, education, health and nutrition, school and dormitory construction, with significant contributions together with other NGOs in Central Asia. Save the Children also initiated an empowerment program – a self-directed participant driven methodology that puts development in the hands of the participants.
Save the Children in Central Asia works closely with the following government partners, local NGO partners and external partners
- Association of Stomatologists of Tajikistan
- Child Rights Commissions at district and regional levels
- Children’s Group
- Committee on Emergency Situation and Civil defence
- Committee on Women and Family Affairs under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan
- Community Emergency Team
- Department of Psychology, City University of New York
- International Organization for Migration
- Migration Support Centres
- Ministry of Education: Department of International Relations; Department of Secondary School and High-Vocational Education; Education Departments of Khatlon Region
- Ministry of Health: Department of International Relations; Department of Mother and Child Health and Family Planning; Republican and district Healthy Life Style Centers
- Ministry of Labor and Migration
- Project SINO
- Public Organization "Child Rights Centre"
- Public Organization "Gender Education Center"
- Public Organization "Ghamkhori"
- Public Organization "Oshtii Milli"
- Public Organization “Bayastan”
- Public Organization “Nur Bala”
- Republican and Regional Teacher Training Institute
- State Department for Civil Status Registration
- Swiss Centre for International Health
- Women without Borders / SAVE (Sisters Against Violent Extremism)
- Women's Groups (community level)
- European Commission
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation